Jessie Performance under GNOME

Dear Users,

I have finally installed "Jessie" in a separate partition of the machine
where I also run "Wheezy" for past few years.

I use GNOME desktops.

"Jessie" is not generally very responsive compared to "Wheezy", display
update and mouse tracking is very very slow.

I have to admit that my PC is an older machine, 1GHz Athlon with TRIDENT
video chip.

My first thought was to look at X system, as XAA acceleration seems dropped for TRIDENT, I used EXA instead as
recommended by X.Org, but it did not improve performance noticeably.

Any hints to improve "Jessie" performance to get at it least on "Wheezy"
level on the same platform?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>