Jessie Performance under GNOME

Dear Users,

I have finally installed "Jessie" in a separate partition of the machine
where I also run "Wheezy" for past few years.

I use GNOME desktops.

"Jessie" is not generally very responsive compared to "Wheezy", display
update and mouse tracking is very very slow.

I have to admit that my PC is an older machine, 1GHz Athlon with TRIDENT
video chip.

My first thought was to look at X system, as XAA acceleration seems dropped for TRIDENT, I used EXA instead as
recommended by X.Org, but it did not improve performance noticeably, also EXA has some update issues on my H/W.

Any hints to improve "Jessie" performance to get at it least on "Wheezy"
level on the same platform?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>