Re: display problems, wheezy -> jessie upgrade

Mark Copper composed on 2016-05-15 11:57 (UTC-0500):

Upgraded to Jessie yesterday (Linux polaris 3.1.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 10
05:01:58 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

3.1.0 is not a Jessie kernel. Jessie's kernel is 3.16.7. If 3.1.0 is your only kernel, your upgrade is incomplete.

Everything went smoothly but no visual after reboot.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 access
was fine and no errors were apparent in logs.

I tried changing display manager from gdm3 to lightdm, resulting in display
of login screen followed by blank screen upon logging in.

Second, I tried changing monitors.  That has made box usable, but there are
still serious display problems (including but not limited to scrambled
screen on Gnome desktop when clicking the "Show Applications" icon).

I'm going to guess that the graphics card is the culprit.

Based on just this overview, has anyone had a similar experience? I haven't
seen or heard anything and to me that usually means hardware.

What does the output from 'lspci | grep VGA' show your gfxcard is?

What clues are in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log that might suggest the problem is? Look for (EE) lines. Upload that file to http://paste.debian.net/ or similar and provide a link to it if you need help with that log.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/