Re: Opera Won't Run on Wheezy [SOLVED]

On Fri, 13 May 2016, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Friday 13 May 2016 01:39:23 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Guess I'm stuck with the unsupported Chrome.  No biggie.
>
> Because Chrome is unsupported for Wheezy and 32 bit, pepper flash is
> unsupported for Wheezy and 32 bit.  It makes no difference which of
> the browsers that you use that uses pepper flash, it will still be
> unsupported.
>
> Lisi

That's what I at first thought, but that can't be it.  The installed
versions of all that's Chrome on my system hasn't changed since support
stopped a month ago, either before or after installing Opera twice. I
had even removed the Chrome repo, too. It looks like if you already have Chrome
installed, unsupported or not, Opera doesn't overwrite those files with
up-to-date ones. It just uses what's already there. So, I still have
old, now unsupported versions of the 4 standard plugins/extensions that
come default with Chrome and, thus, Opera.

The curiosity is that last week when I first installed Opera, and
immediately updated/upgraded, it ran fine.  No problems.  A week later,
it wouldn't.  And as far as I can determined, it hadn't been
upgraded in that week. I also checked dependencies, and Wheezy
generously met them. But something had to have changed.  I just can't
find out what.

Anyway, this is all academic. I won't be using Opera on Wheezy.  It's
been too much a bother.  However, I wonder if other LTS distros have
had this problem?