Libreoffice mail merge not working

Hi all,
my Libreoffice fails to generate a series of document starting froma a
template and a database. It used to work, but historically it has always
been a fragile solution. For instance, I was never able to send the
resulting document to a series of email addresses.
I suspect this is due to Debian version using a different JVM from the
official one (I assume if this would be an upstream issue this would
have been noticed and probably fixed long ago).
Is someone able to use this function?
All the best, and thanks a lot.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu