Re: Iceweasel uses wrong charset

On 2016-05-11 11:55:33 +0200, Frédéric Marchal wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2016 11:23:56 err404@free.fr wrote:
> > Why unicode like utf-8 is not default value in iceweasel ?????
> >
> > (it's time, we are in 2016 now)
>
> Unicode is the default in firefox/iceweasel.

No, the default is windows-1252 (checked by testing with a fresh
profile).

> See
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/Localizations_and_character_encodings

which says that the default is windows-1252.

BTW, this page says: "New-authored locale-native UTF-8 content is
expected to declare its encoding, in which case the fallback encoding
does not participate in the processing of content." but I don't see
how one can declare the encoding for text files read locally with the
"file:" URL scheme.