Re: archivemail screwed up (some of) my backups

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your answer!

Le 11-05-2016, à 12:22:18 +0200, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

steve wrote:
gzip: mail_archive.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

It seems that
 gunzip <file.gz
is more tolerant than
 gunzip file.gz

You're right, with gunzip < file.gz > file, I can recuperate almost the
whole file:

ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 steve steve 313033001 mai 11 13:15 file_archive
-rwxr-xr-x 1 steve steve 192528981 mai  3 14:00 file_archive.gz

I don't know what is the compression rate, but if it's in the x2 range,
I'm almost there.

Anyway, I have been able, by chance, to put the hand on the needed message.

[snip]

should I buy a couple of
handkerchiefs and start a period of mourning for my lost messages?

A few handkerchiefs seem appropriate.

But you should not blame the archiver program before you have
outruled that your storage system spoiled the data.
Especially since unreliable storage would be a much more severe
problem than a buggy archiver.

I understand, but since I have more or less 2/3 of the *.gz that are ok,
I thought archivemail was the responsible. But after gunzipping some
other files, it seems that the problem only arises on ISO-8850 text file,
not on UTF-8. But not tech savvy enough to know why.

The thing is now, how could I be 99.99% sure that the backups
created by archivemail are reliable? My confidence is a bit broken now.

Have a nice day :)

The sun just rose above horizon, thanks to you!

Steve