Re: Shell - escapes

> If there was no $ in the text, one could do it more simply by packing the whole text into double quotes:
perl -e "print '$ and a' "
> Have a nice day :) Thomas

That's why I constructed that example :)

I think it would be useful to have a (new, meta) quote, which fully hides contents from bash-interpretion
so that (perl-)strings can be built without thinking of quoting/escaping.
Would it be useful / possible to change '...' so that nothing _except_ \' ist interpreted, I think that would be a nice solution --- or use a new (unused???) character. - Is it worth to forward it to the bash-experts (perhaps sb of them reading this...)

Thanks for that many answers!
Andrew