Re: mplayer: --alang option

On Sunday 08 May 2016 07:57:59 Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I tried to rip a DVD with "mplayer --alang=fr", but got
> the english audio track. Did anybody used this option, and if yes
> with what result?

I haven't done this for ages but, if my memory serves me well, when the
language name is not defined on the DVD track (as is apparently your case), you
must use --aid instead of --alang. --aid expects a number which is the audio
channel ID code.

The audio ID code identifies the audio channel on the DVD track. It is not
related to the actual language (read this as: it doesn't always have the same
value for French, not even from one track to the other on the same DVD). It is
an ID assigned to an audio "slot" on the track.

The actual number can be displayed with lsdvd -a. It usually is 128 or 129
from my experience (it may be bigger if the DVD has many languages and French
is not among the two first). I think lsdvd displays it as hexadecimal when
mplayer expects it as decimal (or is it the opposite).

Frederic