Re: recurrent soft/hard lockup on CPU

On Fri, 2016-05-06 at 21:02 -0500, Seb wrote:
> I suspect this will go up into the ether, but just in case someone
> has
> experience with this kind of bug, I'll try because even a tip on how
> debug it and narrow down the problem would be helpful.
>
> For a few weeks, I'm experiencing complete system freezes that occur
> nearly every day and seemingly at random or not linked to any easily
> identifiable activity.  This is a new system (Lenovo ThinkCentre
> M800),
> so I doubt hardware is the culprit.  Checking the output of dmesg,
> and
> looking at /var/log/kern.log or /var/log/syslog shows soft or hard
> lockups (excerpt of a hard lockup example):

Yeah, hard crashes sucks.

Are all the logs similar? The call trace in that log seems very short.

Is this a new install or did you have a previous working setup?

Trying newer and older kernels is probably a good first step. If a
newer kernel works the problem has already been fixed. If an older
kernel works it's a regression and you, or someone else, can bisect it.

You might want to run through a full test of Memtest86+ a couple of
times, just to rule out hardware problems even though it's unlikely.

You might also want to removing as many variables as possible. Try with
a minimum system. Eg. you have nouveau, so try without it and just the
internal GPU, try without wifi, without network cable plugged in etc.

Filing a bug is probably a good idea, preferably directly upstream:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson