Re: network scanner not detected

On 06.05.2016 16:53, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2016, Piyavkin wrote:

Hi, Pierre,

I'm not sure if it is applicable in your case, but may be some firmware required or some config-file with proper way to it was recently rewritten/moved. I have an old Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner and my usual way to install/reinstall it is like such:
. . .
   hi Dmitry
   Thank you for your detailed reply, but in my case I'm quite sure that
   the problem is no with xsane, but at the system level, for the
   following reasons:

   1/ The other scanning programs don't find the scanner either
      (scanimage, simple-scan, hp-scan)

2/ on my desktop, where the scanner works, I don't have a snapscan directory

   3/ as I said, the scanner is seen and works via the web interface

   4/ I just discovered a more worrying thing:
the hp utility hp-probe doesn't find any device (printer or scanner)
      On my desktop, "hp-probe -bnet" gives:

hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.1.9 Officejet_Pro_6830 HPA48092

      and on the laptop:

      warning: No devices found on the 'net' bus

      As system-config-printer finds the device, I think that the problem
      is related to HP software, but I'm unable to find how...

best regards,

Well, then Plan B. I don't know which way you use to share your printer+scanner for your network. But if you use CUPS, then the pages may be interesting for you:

http://xmodulo.com/usb-network-printer-and-scanner-server-debian.html
http://xmodulo.com/configure-network-printer-scanner-ubuntu-desktop.html

You may check if the saned is running both on the server and on the client side. And check: a) access rules in cupsd.conf (server side), b) saned hosts in /etc/sane.d/net.conf (client side).

Best regards,
Dmitry Piyavkin