gvfs mount issues ('not authorized to perform operation')

Hi,

It appears something is broken in my xfce install, as Thunar can't mount
removable volumes anymore.

I've managed to narrow down the issue as happening somewhere between
gvfs and udisks2. Mounting a USB Flash drive with 'udisksctl mount -b
/dev/sdb1' works, but 'gvfs-mount -d /dev/sdb1' gives the 'Not
authorized to perform operation' error.

According to the actions defined in
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy I should be
able to mount removable volumes as an active user. loginctl shows my
session as Active.

Anyone have any idea what the next step is I could check?

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.