Re: Setting up UEFI boot

> I confirm that gdisk can convert a disk from MBR/MSDOS to GPT from
> within a system running on the disk.

Indeed that's exactly what I used for that.

> Anyway, unless the UEFI firmware is broken, you can boot in UEFI mode
> from an MSDOS partitionned disk, provided that you can create a small
> FAT32 EFI system partition (a few MB IIRC).

Good to know, thanks.

>> You may need extra steps to convince your system to boot from Debian's
>> grub-efi,
> Not "may", "must".
> Unless the system was booted in UEFI mode, the default GRUB EFI
> installation process will fail.
[...]
> IMO a more elegant way is to install GRUB with the following options :
> grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --removable
> (or --target=i386-efi depending on the firmware flavour)
> It does not require access to any EFI boot variable and will install
> GRUB in the default EFI path.

Ah, yes, that rings a bell.  Indeed, I had some difficulty convincing
GRUB to install itself (I seem to remember that it had trouble deciding
which target to use, at least).

I should have written down the steps I followed back then.

        Stefan