Re: Setting up UEFI boot

Thomas

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the live no-desktop-environment image from cdimage.debian.org. I installed it using the instructions there (essentially dd if=<image> of=/dev/sdc bs=4M ; sync) . I did this maybe 2 or 3 weeks back. Once I stopped being stupid and correctly put /dev/sdc instead of wrongly putting /dev/sdc1 as I did teh first time, it worked fine and was able to boot once I enabled legacy boot support in my UEFI setup.

According to a debian wiki page I read, dated October last year, which I found after my first post, netinst images support EFI but live images do not.

If that is wrong, no one will be happier than me!

I'm staring down the barrel of trying to come up with some sort of ISO based bootable USB stick to get the live image to boot in EFI mode, or I just had the idea of using a netinst image to install say Jessie to another USB stick, booting that, and then using that to chroot into the LFS environment on the machine's SSD (the one I've just finished building) to run grub-install. Unless someone can suggest a better idea, that is what I am going to try next.

I suppose another way would be if I can start a netinst, stop it before it does anything to my SSD, and shell out to an environment with enough working to be able to chroot to the LFS environment and run grub-install... Not sure if I can stop a netinst very early in the proces and have enough running to be able to do anything... If I can that would be another way.

Mark

On Wed, May 4, 2016, 3:25 PM Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
Hi,

i cannot answer the question but wonder about an aspect of your report:

Mark Fletcher wrote:
> After figuring out how to disable secure boot and turn on support for legacy
> boot modes, I was able to get the USB stick to boot into a non-DE Linux live
> environment.

The Debian ISOs for i386 and amd64 are supposed to boot via EFI.
But not with secure boot, if the wiki is still correct
  https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#UEFI_Secure_Boot

> But the Debian
> live .ISO file is MBR, and I want to install UEFI.

Which URL exactly did you download ?
How did you put it onto the USB stick ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas