Re: Zero filling my HDD before installation

 Am 02.05.2016 um 17:50 schrieb Ralph Sanchez:
> Heqamilus --- Not an expert, but I've worked with Kali and Backtrack
> for quite a while from USB live boot and figure, if I didn't kill
> myself virtually while perm logged in as a root user, I should be okay
> switching to debian. Plus it's more secure, to me, and better as far
> as apt-get programs and what not, imho from research.

Ok, just make sure yourself to have always a working OS, "just in case".
So I suggest to act like this:

1) Download latest debian live, whatever version
2) verify iso and burn in usb
3) test live (wifi working etc)
4) install, by following the easystep

You can make sure that all of your hardware will work on debian. If you
can't get you HW to work, you need to download a special version of
debian that contain non free software

IMHO is better to not use the live installer to surf the web or do
anythings other than testing drivers (for security)

> and your saying it will allow me an option for encryption and random
> fill before, during or after install??

During installation of linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora... ) you can choose
to perform a full encrypted installation.
While the installer encrypt your disk, all the sector of your hard drive
will be overwriten. This is for make impossible to recover userdata by
software.

For you this is useful because if someone stole you laptop or you lose
it you don't need to worry about your data being stolen.

Good Luck

H.