Re: [OT]: May Day

On Sunday 01 May 2016 18:13:38 Dan Hitt wrote:
> (And wasn't May day an American idea originally, which
> our ruling class wanted to tone down?)

I am speechless!!

"The earliest May Day celebrations appeared in pre-Christian times, with the
Floralia, festival of Flora, the Roman goddess of flowers, held on April 27
during the Roman Republic era, and with the Walpurgis Night celebrations of
the Germanic countries. It is also associated with the Gaelic Beltane, most
commonly held on April 30. The day was a traditional summer holiday in many
pre-Christian European pagan cultures. While February 1 was the first day of
spring, May 1 was the first day of summer; hence, the summer solstice on June
25 (now June 21) was Midsummer."  Etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Day

USA, you are a very YOUNG nation.  You haven't got the oldest anything (except
Californian Redwoods, which antedate the USA.)  Yes, there are younger
nations and peoples - but there are an awful lot of older ones.

(I am still reeling from having been told by this list that the USA had the
oldest continuous democratic government!!!!!)

Lisi