Re: Posts don't show on list

On Saturday 30 April 2016 09:29:03 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 30 April 2016 13:10:56 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Nonsense.  That is a most impractical way of dealing with it.  I
> > > deal with it by sending via my ISP's smtp server.
> >
> > I do too. But the list echo never comes back TO THAT ADDRESS@SERVER.
> >  So you must maintain the sub to the other address or on a 2nd
> > server.  Most just turn off delivery back to the server they post
> > thru.  Mailfilters duplicate nuking doesn't prevent the duplicates
> > in the two server or 2 addresses situation, each with the same
> > message coming back in, which may, or more likely is not the case
> > during that invocation.  I've has as much as a 16 hour difference in
> > incoming duplicates doing that.  The best solution was to stop using
> > gmail.  And its like an Excedrin headache in that you've just
> > removed the need for the headache powders.
> >
> > So I miss it like I'd miss a broken leg, or a poke in the eye with a
> > sharp stick. :)
> >
> > > No hassle and works
> > > fine.  Others may have other simple ways of dealing with it.
> >
> > For you maybe, but gmail has always been a broken solution in search
> > of a problem to me.  So it was just a shrug when they started
> > denying my fetchmail access to port 995 a year ago.  Problem solved
> > by 6 # characters in the .fetchmailrc file.
>
> Your life always seems so unnecessarily complicated, Gene. :-/
>
> Why HAVE two addresses????

Because gmail see's the echo from the list, going back to the address
that it was posted from, as a duplicate, and deletes it.  So you see the
post, confirming it got there by seeing it on the address you didn't
post it from.  This duplicate deletion I have spent at least an hour on
the phone to google, trying to convince them that doing so screws with
every mailing list you are one because if you only subscribe once, as
JohnDoe@gmail.com, you never have confirmation a confirmation that it
got there in the first place without going thru all the bs of looking up
the server with a web browser. By the time you find it, you've wasted 3
or 5 minutes that I could have used far more productively if gmail
wasn't such a jerk about it.

Some of the questions I have asked were so far off the beaten path, and
so I posted again,  no response, but the third time someone did pipe up
and tell me they had indeed seen all 3 posts, but its likely the
no-response was because they couldn't help by answering.  So I was left
re-posting the same question 3 times and looking like a bigger idiot
than I hope I am, just to get a single reply. One that basically told me
to STFU.

I did eventually suss my problem out, but when I posted my how-to,
the "experts" then lambasted me for doing it that way.  But its worked
for me for about 5 years now, thru 3 installs, flawlessly. On this
little home network I use host files so I see no valid reason to waste
space and time with dhcp.

But, had I also subscribed as FredDoe@gmail.com, I would have seen that
every message I sent as JohnDoe@gmail.com would have come back to
FredDoe@gmail.com, and since I sort to folders in KMail by the list
address, everything would have worked just peachy.  KMail has no problem
as it can set your posting name@address by the folder your are in. But
thats an ability it didn't have, or I didn't know about, at the time
this first boiled over 10 years ago.

Thanks Lisi.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)