Re: OT: what do you know about Linux?

Juan R. de Silva composed on 2016-04-26 01:26 (UTC):

On my desktop I still use and old keyboard with PS/2 connector.
My mouse an USB one, so the mouse PS/2 port on motherboard remains free.

A couple of days ago I had to reconnect my keyboard to motherboard. I was
doing it in hurry and in the dark, just to the touch.

Plugging a PS/2 keyboard connector into a motherboard port while the PC is
powered up is a bad idea. Sometimes doing so can permanently render the
motherboard port useless.

A day later while restarting the machine I was surprised by message from
BIOS:"No keyboard detected." However, when started, Debian had no trouble
with my keyboard. It was fully functional.

The Linux driver doesn't care which port the keyboard is plugged into. The motherboard BIOS does care, hence the warning at boot. Plugged into the wrong port, you can't use the keyboard to get into BIOS setup or anything else you might wish to key before the PC boots an OS.

Today I had a minute to pull out my desktop tower and found that I
mistakenly plugged keyboard connector into the mouse PS/2 port.

Dejavu. There was a long thread almost a month ago here "Changing Boot Order" about using the wrong port.

I wish to see Windows trying to swallow this. :-) Or I am outdated on
Windows skills, am I?

???

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/