question about limits

A long time ago I set limits in /etc/security/limits.conf

recently I have to run some independent firefox instances:

for q in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do iceweasel -no-remote -P profile$q & ; done

And some of them were killed by trap or segfault.
I set limits bigger, and by limits conf looks like this:

sudo cat  /etc/security/limits.conf
[sudo] password for kjonca:
*	hard	nproc	500
*	soft	nproc	150
kjonca	-	nproc	16000

I have relogged (I am using xdm,  if it matters)
but I can't run iceweasel instances

ps xms|wc
gives me something like 480-490
so I suspect, that somehow is enforced another limit.
BTW:
kjonca@alfa:~%ulimit -a
-t: cpu time (seconds)              unlimited
-f: file size (blocks)              unlimited
-d: data seg size (kbytes)          unlimited
-s: stack size (kbytes)             8192
-c: core file size (blocks)         0
-m: resident set size (kbytes)      unlimited
-u: processes                       16000
-n: file descriptors                65536
-l: locked-in-memory size (kbytes)  64
-v: address space (kbytes)          unlimited
-x: file locks                      unlimited
-i: pending signals                 128633
-q: bytes in POSIX msg queues       819200
-e: max nice                        0
-r: max rt priority                 0
-N 15:                              unlimited

What should I check?
KJ

--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization.