Re: Posts don't show on list

Gary Roach composed on 2016-04-22 12:24 (UTC-0700):

Gary Roach wrote:

For the last several weeks my posts to this site have not been showing
up. I am not sure whether they are getting through or not. Someone
respond to the message just to  show me that my postings are getting
through.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/04/msg00793.html should be proof enough it was sent. You don't need to ask anyone to clutter the list with a response to prove it arrived anywhere. Competent messages in response to it include its ID, from which and in combination with the response message's other headers point you to it in the archive.

OK. All of a sudden my original posts are showing up but if I add an
attachment the post seems to drop into a black hole. No post, no
rejection notice. I have looked at the sites rules and have not found
any information that would exclude attachments.

It's there, hiding in not so plain sight:

	"Avoid sending large attachments."

It doesn't declare what "large" means, or how to avoid. Large attachments tend to get a message characterized as spam, as spam is usually very much larger than an average list message, as are typical screenshots. Thus it's unsurprising some otherwise valid list messages seem to disappear, or that a message reaches the list, but with its "large" binary attachment scrubbed.

Since I have not found a way to embed a screen shot into the body of the
email, how do I pass a screen shot for members to view.

This has been answered in another thread reply. To elaborate on that reply, consider installing and running Apache. With it, you host your screenshot on your own PC, for as long or as short a period as you choose. That way, only those who purposefully open it, via the link you include in your post, consume its bandwidth, and it doesn't stay in perpetual archive that most often quickly becomes useless.

Gary Roach composed on 2016-04-22 15:22 (UTC-0700):

> I'm glad you thing this is a minor problem. Just put out a critical
> question, get no answer and not know whether its due to the message not
> getting through or just no interest. It drives me nuts. Things are
> inconsistent as well. When I posted this thread my original message was
> posted. Since then I tried to as a question requiring the inclusion of a
> screen shot. I put the screen shot as an attachment. The message just
> disappeared never to be heard from again. Very annoying.

Also annoying is mailing list admin policy that stuffs all helpful list usage information into the headers, a place too many list subscribers have no idea how to access, or know or think to find out about.

Arguably more astute list admins put, where it's hard to miss, as a message attachment, rather than exclusively within the message headers, the following:

	How to unsubscribe (or link thereto)
	List policies link
	Link to list archive

Other admins stand on a powerful overriding minimalist principle that once is enough even though it routinely causes off- or marginally topical list traffic. Those admins usually combine it with refusal to munge[1], which when done results in response messages most often going automatically to their intended destination, the list responsible for them ever having been received in the first place. The world is not a perfect place. Don't expect it to be.

[1] RFC 2822 https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt dissuades munging, while http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-useful.html explains the helpful-to-users arguments in favor of munging.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/