Re: No login secreen on Jessie

On Sunday 17 April 2016 22:08:20 Felix Miata wrote:
> Markos composed on 2016-04-17 17:22 (UTC):
> > I can use this machine only on Sunday mornings.
> >
> > I will do these tests on next Sunday.
> >
> > But using this message, do you suggest any Linux distribution, based on
> > Debian, which would be a good alternative to install on this machine?
>
> Nothing I wrote was meant to imply Jessie was an inappropriate distro
> choice. Rather, Gnome3 is more demanding than your hardware was designed to
> support. So, (optionally) removing gnome-desktop, and installing any other
> desktop is what I would try first. Several less demanding options are
> available. My preference is overwhelmingly TDE, regardless of hardware
> capability.
>
> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall#For_Jessie_.28Debian_8.x.29
> has TDE installation instructions. The home page link there will provide
> better description than I can offer.
>
> > This desktop will beused in educational environment.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> Unless your 160GB disk installation unusually constrained your / partition
> size, you can install multiple desktop environments, try each, then simply
> continue using whichever turns out to be your favorite, optionally removing
> the others.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment lists Debian's primary desktop
> options. If you've been a Gnome user in the past, Mate may turn out to be
> your preference.
>
> Alternatively, if switching to another distro is your wish, Edubuntu might
> turn out to be an ideal choice.
> https://www.edubuntu.org/

I would second everything that Felix has said.  Gnome does not sound suitable,
and I would second the suggestion of trying several other desktops, but be
sure to include TDE and MATE.

You don't say what age group you are intending to educate.  FWIW, I personally
have used Debian with TDE (and its precursor KDE3) for ages from 3 to 83.  So
far, they all love it, and find it enjoyable.  It is very configurable, which
makes it ideal IMHO, since it can be adapted to suit the individual and/or
circumstances.

Lisi