Re: No login secreen on Jessie

Markos composed on 2016-04-17 10:59 (UTC):

I just installed Debian 8.1.0 jessie with CD 1 and CD 2 on a old desktop
with the configuration:

Motherboard: ECS Elitegroup 848P-A (v 1.0)
Processor: Pentium 4 (3GHz),
2GB DDR
HD SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB
Video: nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
Network: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Audio: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97

I had problems during installation and installed just the basic system.

Later I installed gnome(apt-get install gnome), but after the boot does
not appear the login screen, just a black screen.

How can I find the reason of the problem?

I can log just on text mode with Ctrl+Alt+Fn

The problem could be as simple as the installer having disabled KMS on the bootloader's kernel cmdline (nomodeset). 'cat /proc/cmdline' is a simple check to find out. If so, it needs to be permanently removed.

If that isn't the case, adding nouveau.config=NvMSI=0 on kernel cmdline might help.

Note that Gnome is arguably the most demanding among DEs from the hardware, working best and designed for latest/greatest hardware, while yours is ~13 years old. You may be better off with a different DE and DM with that old entry-level FX 5200 and 32-bit OS version.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/