Re: btrfs: mixing raid0 and raid1 - How?

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 01:35:20PM +0200, Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso wrote:
> Still btrfs is quite young, I am not sure if there are serious issues in 3.17,
> I would make some experiments before actual use.

If you are going to use btrfs I would consider it essential to be
subscribed to the linux-btrfs mailing list. You will also need to
use a much newer kernel than 3.17, and you will need to commit to
continuing to use newer kernels for some time yet.

I mention this because you need to be aware that you may still hit
issues where you need the help of linux-btrfs and that there is a
need to use newer kernels than you will find packaged in Debian
stable.

I do myself run btrfs at home and I thought I had a stable
combination of kernel version and userland tools (btrfs-tools), but
when I came to need to replace a dead device I found that subsequent
developments in btrfs meant I needed a newer btrfs-tools, and that
in turn meant I needed a newer kernel.

If the idea of having to upgrade kernel and some userland tools in
order to recover from a simple situation of a dead device does not
appeal to you then btrfs may not yet be for you. Things like this
are why I do not yet run it in production.

Cheers,
Andy