Re: My script almost works but spams the terminal its launched from if useing dash.

On 16/04/2016 17:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 16 April 2016 12:01:28 Aero Maxx wrote:

On 16/04/2016 16:23, Gene Heskett wrote:
But when I run it with dash, it doesn't seem to work right, and
spams the terminal with its error messages.  One that appears to
kill its function is the bashism of using [[ ]] to surround string
variables, reported like this:
bin/mailwatcher: 64: bin/mailwatcher: [[: not found
bin/mailwatcher: 70: bin/mailwatcher: [[: not found
bin/mailwatcher: 77: bin/mailwatcher: [[: not found
dash isn't the same as bash, as it has a limited set of instructions
or commands it can do.

But I too would be interested to know if it is possible to get it to
work in dash, I don't believe it is, but I am happy to be corrected
or proved wrong.

And finally, once its working with either shell, how do I shut it up
totally?  Even the above command line launch fails as it outputs to
that shell, a newline for every incoming mail which gradually
scrolls any output that was on-screen, offscreen without leaving a
prompt until I tap the return key to restore it.
Also isn't the command you are running supposed to be as follows ?

bin/mailwatcher 2>&1 > /dev/null &

Is the space you inserted into my line between the > and the /dev/null a
game changer? In either bash or dash?  Its been a while since I last
read the bash docs, but I don't recall there was any emphasis on that.

I'm sorry I was a bit too eager to reply and neglected to change what I had pasted in.

I meant to say could you try this

bin/mailwatcher > /dev/null 2>&1 &

---