Re: Can you help me figure out why I can't get Grub to install from a standard CD .iso?

Hi,

(I Cc: you because the X-Spam-Status: header does not list you
 as "LDOSUBSCRIBER".)

> For some reason it runs the CD fine,

I understand that you get to the first menu which offers installation.
Like:
  https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/images/inst-boot.png
  https://gordonlesti.com/media/post/install-debian-8-jessie-virtual-machine/debian_installer_boot_menu.png

In this case the way you presented the ISO to the machine was
as correct as can be.

> then when it gets to the grub install part? it fails

How does it express its failure ?
What are the last messages or dialog prompts you get to see ?

> to go the Ubuntu route

It might be of interest if an Ubuntu ISO does better than the Debian one.

> Any help anyone can provide would be
> greatly appreciated.

My own expertise normally ends when the computer firmware (BIOS or EFI)
sucessfully started the boot loader (ISOLINUX or GRUB2) which then shows
the said first menu.
But we have people listening here who can probably tell more about
the reasons of later failure.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas