Re: Firefox install

On 04/13/2016 02:30 AM, arian wrote:
Hi Marc,

firefox is not in jessie-backports, but in unstable. The package which you may find there in the future is firefox-esr, which is in testing atm. For desktop-installations it's IMO better to just run testing or unstable if you're somewhat knowledgeable. You know, they say there are three flavors of debian: rusty, stale and broken. Probably should add a fourth fossilized flavor ;)

I have updated my /etc/apt/sources.list file and installed both pkg-mozilla-archive-keyring and debian-keyring.
so you installed from mozilla repo before and you certainly had the debian repo - what did you have to change?

I have been installing from the tarballs provided by mozilla.

Per mozilla.debian.net, I added the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list

    deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ jessie-backports firefox-release

I do not have any testing or unstable lines in /etc/apt/sources.list

Also: how did you attempt to install the keyrings? check: dpkg -l ${packagename} - ii in front for installed
If they're not installed, obtain the keyring deb via HTTPS and install: dpkg -i {packagename} (HTTPS because you cannot verify keyring integrity without trusting the keyring in the first place, default-HTTPS does not give you the same guarantees as secure-apt but at least an attacker has to acquire a validly signed cert.)

regards, Arian

Also per mozilla.debian.net:

You can do so by installing the pkg-mozilla-archive-keyring package. Once installed, you can check the key with the following command (requires the debian-keyring package to be installed):