Re: change hostname & static IP & ???

On Mon 11 Apr 2016 at 19:02:45 (-0400), ken wrote:
> This is on Wheezy for a Raspberry Pi.
>
> Using dd, I copied the SD card for one (nicely working and
> configured) system onto another SD card.  I want to use this second
> card for another system, so need to change the hostname and (static)
> IP address.  Yesterday I grepped the whole system for one and then
> the other and where I found either, I made appropriate changes
> (i.e., previous hostname to new hostname, previous IP address to new
> IP address).  I also zeroed out all text-based files in /var/log/
> (e.g., >messages), just to start the new system with clean logs.
>
> Both the previous (still running) system and the new one (not yet
> running) are to be on the same LAN, so I'm pretty certain that no
> other networking configuration-- like broadcast or netmask-- needs
> to be touched (how could it need any?).
>
> Neither of these systems has any public-facing services currently running.
>
> My concerns are these:
>
> Only files which grep could find were amended. (Note that grep was
> run on the card when it was mounted on another system, not when the
> system on that card was booted and running.)  Is there a file of
> some kind, perhaps, which encodes either the hostname and/or IP
> address in such a way that would hide it/them from grep?

If you regenerate ssh keys, your .ssh/known_hosts files will have
hostnames and IP numbers you might want to remove. They're encrypted.
You could blank them like the log files.

The key pairs themselves only have visible hostnames in the public
part's file.

> Since people are supposed to be able (I think, never done) to take
> an SD out of one RPi and put and boot it in another RPi (with the
> same hardware), I didn't make any attempt to find and change any
> hardware designations, like the MAC address of the NIC.  Is that
> okay?

Your router may know IP#/MAC combinations for dhcp.

Also IPv6 link-local addresses are generated from the MAC address
(in case you've told them to any of your other machines).

Cheers,
David.