Re: Choppy video on Youtube

Harris Paltrowitz composed on 2016-04-06 12:45 (UTC-0400):

First, I'm asking for help on this list because I've observed this to be
a very august group :) and I'm actually a bit in awe to be in the
presence of Debian developers...  I've only been using Debian for a few
weeks -- I'm not new to Linux or Unix, although I'm still a relative
beginner.

Here's my problem -- when I stream certain videos on Youtube, I
consistently get choppy playback performance, whereby the video freezes
and restarts randomly, with the audio getting out of sync from that
point forward.  The problem is NOT due to the video still being
downloaded -- I know this because the progress bar shows that the
download is way ahead of my viewing progress.

Here are my specs:

- Debian Jessie 32-bit (I had installed 8.3 and subsequently ran some
updates, but I don't know how to check to see if I'm up to 8.4)
- Gnome 3
- Firefox 45.0.1
- Flash is NOT installed
- flashplugin-nonfree is NOT installed
- neither gnash nor pepper are installed
- example of a video that gets choppy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Tok9KUjTw (the problem seems to start
during the "man on the street" segments)
- When the choppiness is happening, System Monitor tells me that one of
my four CPUs is maxing out at 100% at least half the time

Hardware:
​- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series (Intel(R)) - 3551
- Intel Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz x 4 (2M Cache, up to 2.66 GHz)
- 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1)
- Graphics: Intel Bay Trail x86/MMX/SSE2

I would love to receive help from this list...  thanks much much in advance!

I don't see Bay Trail on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets which likely means your laptop's construction design predates Jessie's original release a year ago. Maybe Stretch has support for it? Maybe switching between modesetting and intel X driver is what you need, depending on which is in use now. /var/log/Xorg.0.log will say which video driver is in use. If it's not intel or modesetting, X is running on an inferior fallback driver.

https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/4cojj9/it_is_probably_time_to_ditch_xf86videointel/ could provide some insight on driver selection, but you still may need Xorg or video driver or both from unstable.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/