Re: does wayland work yet?

Wayland is a protocol for communication between clients and a compositor. From a user's perspective you don't use it directly, you programs do. With that out of the way, there are several options:

- gnome. I think it's pretty much ready, fedora considered a gnome-wayland session for their upcoming release
- Plasma > 5.5. I tried Plasma 5.5 and gave up not too far in. Problem is window decoration is way off reasonable. You might have more luck with 5.6. Beware that debian packaging takes long time, 5.5 is still in experimental, no sign of 5.6 that I'm aware of.
- enlightment ought to have a good wayland session, but not in e17 (I think e19+, maybe e20). However, debian has only e17 packaged. I built enlightenment a while ago myself, but did not get a wayland session into a usable state.

there is weston, of course, and it works, but its definitely not a full desktop environment.
There are some (ubuntu-focused) ppas that may have software that works for you, if you consider switching away from debian, fedora+gnome is probably the most advanced choice. Stay away from their developement release though, they don't sign their packages. (Which of course raises questions for their stable releases too).

You'll not get to abandon all X clients any time soon, because there are many programs that speak X directly, not through some toolkit that is also ported to use wayland. That is not so much of a problem though, as they can integrate into a wayland session with xwayland.

regards, arian