Re: Bug report (ASUS M2NPV/VM: Garbled screen instead of GUI)

On 4/4/16, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Monday 04 April 2016 05:01:57 Manfred wrote:
>
>> >If you are unable to determine which package your bug report should
>> > be filed against, please send e-mail to the Debian user mailing list
>> > asking for advice.
>>
>> Ok, so I'm asking for advice, since Debian doesn't even boot
>> correctly.
>>
>> Besides that, my bug report would be as follows:
>>
>> Package: ???
>> Version: 8.3.0-live ?
>>
>> No GUI when booting debian-live-8.3.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso as well
>> as debian-live-8.3.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso.
>>
>> Instead of the GUI (desktop etc.) only a garbled screen: Sometimes
>> black with only a mouse pointer, sometimes yellow and green horizontal
>> blocks or other weird patterns. The system mostly hangs after a couple
>> of mouse clicks.
>>
>> ASUS motherboard M2NPV/VM with on-board NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics,
>> 3GB RAM, Athlon X2 240e.
>
> Do you know what "family" that Athlon is?  It should be listed as the
> machine is booting if you get rid of the quiet and splash keywords in
> the grub command line by using the grub editor.
>
> Family 15 and earlier have no microcode update capability, and family 15
> in particular has an unfixable halt bug.

What about something like video driver and/or screen resolution? I
have had a similar problem with an older Debian based distro when all
other distros work (are viewable). It was always just kneejerk
reaction that it "felt like" driver or resolution issue. It occurred
across multiple laptops, too.

It SEEMS LIKE I was able to get the distro to at least half function
if I could navigate through the garble and into the settings manager.
The visuals would be duplicated anywhere from 3 to 7 times across the
screen. I just reread the issue description above. It sure sounds VERY
familiar although it has been a long time since I've experienced it.
:)

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--