Re: running Linux without display

>>> What g.u.i. app or apps prevent graphical user interface Linux from running
>>> if no display can be plugged into the computer?
>> So the machine does not have a monitor plugged into it.
>> But does it have a graphics card?
> Yes the machine has a graphics card radeon if I didn't murder the spelling.

I think John's right about it, then: the radeon driver probably decided
to "stop" or something like that because it didn't find a monitor (and
hence couldn't choose the resolution and such).

You can probably put something in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to make it
ignore the monitor-detection failure.
But you might be better off using a dummy X server like Xdummy or Xvfb.

        Stefan