Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Sun 03 Apr 2016 at 23:09:14 (+0100), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 02 April 2016 05:11:43 David Wright wrote:
> > Yes, it does annoy me that the link doesn't warn you of that.
> > I don't know how you browse so this might not help you, but here
> > is what I do:
> >
> > After navigating to the page with the ISO link (either from Debian
> > home page or directly by googling something like   debian installer   )
> > I take care not to left-click on the link, but instead right-click and
> > select Copy Link Location.
>
> That appeared to do nothing,

Yes, cut/copy-and-paste can be a bit problematical at times, so I'll
elaborate for the benefit of other possible readers.

At the time you select Copy Link Location, yes, you see nothing. But
the link text goes into the cut buffer. However, I have no idea
exactly _which_ buffer, so you may have to try different paste
methods. I use the middle-click in xterm (always tricky on the laptop
as there's no middle button), but sometimes ^Y in emacs might be
required to get at the text.

What "should" always work (because you Copy Link Location in the
browser) is to open a new tab (^T), click in its address bar (ought
to be selected already) and type ^V (or use Paste in the menu).
Then, taking care not to press Return (which wouls start a download in
the browser), treble-click the address and paste that into your wget
command for the download; then go back to the address bar, press End
and then rub out the ISO filename to navigate to the directory.

> so I tried everything else offered.  The
> three "Open link <something-or-other>" all produced 404s, "Save link as"
> downloaded, "Inspect" opened the relevant section of HTML, with the relevant
> line highlighted.  Bingo!  Success!  Thank you, David.  That's a big help.

That's good. I've never tried some of those right-click options, but
whatever works for you. I've given the instructions above just in case
they're useful for someone else.

Cheers,
David.