Live CD - boot option for static IP?

List, good morning,

Is there a way to set a static IP at the boot dialog when starting from a Live CD?

I've got a Wheezy server that is a bit broken and I'm trying to run a Wheezy live CD so that I can see what's gone wrong. The Live CD starts perfectly, so the machine will boot and, though it doesn't come up in a GUI it does so in text mode, though the text is badly 'offset' to the left so the first 3 or 4 character columns are not on the screen. Apart from that, the server is an a very awkward location and for these reasons (and others) I'd prefer to login into the live system using SSH. The live CD defaults to DHCP but I need to give it a specific IP in the 192.168 range. If possible, I'd like to do that using the 'edit' option on the Live CD's boot screen, so that Wheezy live comes up - in text is fine - with a specific IP address and gateway etc.

I've searched around a bit and, though I couldn't find a list of Live CD 'boot options' on a Debian page, some other pages suggest there are kernel options that Grub might use for setting static IP, but these are variously described (net= , ip= ). Which of these, or another, should be used, and the fields to be added (and the separators etc), are none too clear.

Is there a 'boot option' that I can add to the Live CD boot command line that will let me set a static IP?

If there is, where should I be looking for the definitive syntax of the IP address setting?

I'd be very grateful for any advice

regards, Ron