Re: Flash update

On 2016-04-02, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

>> I know this is an old thread, but I thought it would be worth mentioning
>> that BBC IPlayer now works without Flash. If you go to the BBC IPlayer
>> web page it says you can access the programs using HTML5. You just have
>> to install a cookie to do this. It's still in beta but it works for me,
>> at least with recent versions of Firefox and Chromium.
>
> I don't think I've ever installed a cookie. How would I do this?

I would guess the site installs the cookie which indicates you've opted
in for the HTML5 beta rather than flash (like YouTube used to do).

> Is it one cookie to make the browser entirely HTML5, or is it a
> different cookie for every site?
>
> Would I know that a movie was being played with HTML5 as opposed to flash?

I imagine if you right-clicked inside the screen you'd know pretty
quickly if it was flash or HTML5, although I don't know the IPlayer as
I'm not in the UK (but apparently there's also a "reminder banner").

> When flash streams a movie, a copy is downloaded somewhere on my
> disk. One beneficial effect of this is that if I click the slider to
> an earlier point in the movie, the player plays instantly from that
> point, without a wait for buffering. Is that the same with HTML5,
> or is it truly streaming (with no local copy on the disk)?
>
> Is it easy to revert to flash if I don't like HTML5?

Clear the cookie probably, and you're back to where you started.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that