Re: X hangs due to 'render ring' issue after suspend/closed lid

On Tue, 2016-03-29 at 19:54 +0100, Alle Meije Wink wrote:
> I am running Jessie on a toshiba laptop with these specs
>
> Hardware: i7 5500u
> Graphics: Intel HD graphics 5500
> Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4 (2016-02-29)
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I had to turn of power saving options (the screen can still be
> blanked
> after a few minutes but hibernate etc is out of the question) because
> after
> waking up from s suspended session/hibernation, the keyboard and
> mouse are
> completely unresponsive. The screen is partly restored (some windows
> are
> semi-transparent for effect) and I cannot go to single-user mode via
> key
> presses either.

The very short answer is that new hardware tends to require new
software.

Try upgrading to new kernel/Xorg driver/mesa. (You might want to try
out using a live cd/usb first).

You might also need new microcode updates, I'm not sure if they are
pushed for the updates for jessie.

The same thing goes for bug reports, if you can't reproduce the problem
with the latest software they tend to not be very interested.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson