Re: Keyboard frozen after changing screen brightness

On Wed, 2016-03-30 at 11:55 +0200, Jan Niggemann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since upgrading Wheezy -> Jessie, I have areproducible issue. I'll
> try
> my best to describe my setup, should anything be missing please ask
> for
> clarification.
>
> Environment
> Lenovo T400
> Jessie (i686)
> GNOME 3.14.1
>
> I boot normally and log in. When pressing Fn+Home to increase
> brightness
> or Fn+End to decrease brightness, I observe a very sluggish behaviour
> of
> the on screen brightness display (i.e. the "indicator icon" with the
> bar
> beneath, not the brightness itself which changes instantly): It takes
> almost one second before the icon comes up and the change in
> brightness
> is reflected on the osd.

GNOME 3 needs a working OpenGL driver, or you'll get software
rendering. Could this be the case?

> Secondly, when repeating keypresses to change to brightness, the
> indicator kind of "locks up", flickers (not the whole monitor, only
> the
> brightness indicator) and then the following message comes up:
> "Could not grab your keyboard. A malicious client may be evesdropping
> on
> your session or [...]".
>
> After this, my keyboard is "gone" in X, i.e. no single keypress has
> any
> effect in any X application. The mouse functions normally, as do
> applications. Changing to a virtual console via Ctrl-Alt-F1 works,
> and
> the keyboard is functioning normally there.

That message comes from gksu.

Not sure what's going on there, something goes wrong when it does the
grab and stops keyboard input?

> Nothing strange in Xorg.0.log or Xorg.0.log.old.
> I think brightness is managed through standard ACPI control:
> thinkpad_acpi: detected a 16-level brightness capable ThinkPad
> thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness
> control, supported by the ACPI video driver
> thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by
> default...
> thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface available, not
> native one
>
> Any ideas why the indicator may show this sluggish behaviour (which I
> expect to be the reason for the keyboard malfunction)?

Maybe, or two separate issues made worse by each other?

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson