Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Wed 30 Mar 2016 at 11:17:29 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

>        I have read the guide online.  It contains nothing that I did not
>        know, or have not followed.  It says nothing about un-explained
>        failures.
>
>        I have two further requests:  1.  does anyone know how to proceed
>        from the prompt   'grub>'  There are all kinds of commands available
>        from that point; will any lead me to the goal of getting a kernel
>        to boot?

Possibly. However, I would try to repair what looks like a broken GRUB
installation.

Boot the installer in Rescue mode. Proceed until you get a screen
entitled "Enter rescue mode". Since you said / was on the fifth
partition you presumably choose /dev/sda5 as the device to use as
a root partition. From the next screen reinstall GRUB to /dev/sda.
That will do for the moment. How does it go?

>        2.  What about Ubuntu?  I can buy, or get a friend(not on campus here)
>        to make a boot Ubuntu disk.  Ubuntu is sort of in the Debian line, and
>        can be made to support apt  etc.  Does it install without random
>        crashes?

Would you say a bit more about these "random crashes" during the
install? What do they look like? Did you get a red screen? Was
there any message on the screen?