Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 12:30:49 AM
Subject: Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On 03/29/2016 01:08 PM, Alan McConnell wrote:
> ... The _many_ install attempts crashed at random points ...
> And now I'm meandering, for I don't know what further information to give, that
> will help the members here to make further suggestions.  But I shall be grateful
> for any help I receive.

Back up your data (if you haven't already done so).
        Long since done!  Please be aware that because of failures where the
        install has crashed/collapsed/failed, my wheezy is toast; all data is
        history.

Get another working computer that you can use while installing Jessie.
        <LOL>  I am in a retirement community environment where computers
        do not grow on every tree.

Download the Debian Installation Guide for your architecture and language:

     http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Then follow the guide, taking detailed notes as you go -- what step in
the guide, what you did, what result you obtained, any error messages,
etc..  If you run into problems, post your notes up to that point and
people on this list should be able to explain what's going on and why,
and help you succeed.
       I have read the guide online.  It contains nothing that I did not
       know, or have not followed.  It says nothing about un-explained
       failures.

       I have two further requests:  1.  does anyone know how to proceed
       from the prompt   'grub>'  There are all kinds of commands available
       from that point; will any lead me to the goal of getting a kernel
       to boot?

       2.  What about Ubuntu?  I can buy, or get a friend(not on campus here)
       to make a boot Ubuntu disk.  Ubuntu is sort of in the Debian line, and
       can be made to support apt  etc.  Does it install without random
       crashes?

Thanks for anticipated help!

Alan, who has been using Linux of one sort or the other since 1994, but has
never had such problems before