Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

On Tuesday 29 March 2016 23:55:33 Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >No help - but "Join the club".  Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.
> >Mine was a new computer and, after over a day of tearing my hair out,
> > trying again, trying differently,and re-downloading etc. etc., I
> > installed Ubuntu MATE (how are the mighty fallen!!),  just to make sure
> > that something would install.  It did.  I am about to try a few more
> > methods of getting Jessie on. But I want a night's sleep first!  (This is
> > a companion saga to the one I have already reported, not the same one).
> > It is not helped by the fact that check sums are not available for the
> > 8.02 or 8.03 firmware net-install isos. And 8.0.0 (for which I have got
> > the check sums) has not got the necessary drivers.
>
> We've never made 8.02 or 8.03 firmware netinstall images. If you mean
> 8.2.0 or 8.3.0,

Yes, I'm sorry.  I do mean 8.2.0 and 8.3.0.

> look in the directories on cdimage.debian.org for the
> signed checksums alongside the images:

I'm very grateful for everything the dds do, honestly.  But please, now that
you help the blind a little, could you not start to remember the partially
sighted?

 > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware
>/archive/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.2.0 in the archive)
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware
>/8.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/ (8.3.0, the current stable release)

This information is not available on the website.  It is gold-dust.  The
website has a hyperlink that says "AMD64"
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

<rant>
Yes, it says that the check-sums are available.  It says that they are in the
same directories.  It doesn't say where and what those directories are.  It
just has flipping hyperlinks that don't go to the directories, which would be
fine, they just go straight into downloading.

So to find the directory one has to go into the raw HTML.  But I have great
difficulty reading raw HTML.  I have great difficulty finding the place on
the page.  Letters dance and lines merge.  I haven't been able to read even
large print books for ten or fifteen years.

And the lines I want are not even at the beginning or the end.  So this time I
googled it, in the hope of being taken straight to the directory.  And found
an email from you, presumably in fact out-dated, saying that the check sums
for the firmware isos had not yet been put up.  So I gave up.

I just don't understand why the dds have decided to make it so difficult to
get the check-sums, when check-sums are so important.  There are so many ways
that they could be made available.
</rant>
You have just made them available to me.  That is just fantastic!  I can now
at least be sure that my iso is not corrupted.

So thank you very, very much Steve.  But could you perhaps persuade your
colleagues to make them readily available via the website?

> and there are signed checksum files for *all* the images we publish.

For those who can see well.

> >I have been installing Debian for years on a good many different computers
> > of different ages.  I have NEVER had problems like this.  I expect a
> > basic Debian installation to take half an hour, not days.
>
> Ouch. :-(
>
> >One of the tech help chaps, at the shop from which I bought the computer,
> >suggested forgetting about gpt and sticking with Legacy, and looking at
> > the Windows settings in the BIOS, which he though might be interfering.
> > As I said, I am going to have a night's sleep first.  I didn't get much
> > last night because I was battling with this.   FWIW, Ubuntu insisted on
> > installing with Legacy partitions, not gpt.
> >
> >I had not got the motherboard manual and did not know what the motherboard
> >was, so couldn't download the manual.  I have now asked the shop what it
> > is, and downloaded the manual.
>
> Are you trying to dual-boot with Windows, or replace the Windows
> setup?

No.  It has no Windows on it.  And now I have the manual, I see that if the
BIOS is at its defaults, the BIOS is fine, but from what the tech support
chap said, I suspect that settings have been changed by Novatech, so that is
what I shall look at next.  I did look before, but without the manual I was a
bit at sea.

> If you're talking about GPT, you're looking at a UEFI/legacy
> BIOS choice. There *are* machines/motherboards which come stupidly
> configured out of the box to boot removable media in one mode
> (e.g. UEFI) but to use the *other* mode (e.g. BIOS) for booting off
> hard disk. You then can end up with a system where the installer will
> appear to work flawlessly, but the newly-installed system will fail to
> boot.

That is clearly something I must look at.

> If you've found out the manufacturer/model for your motherboard,
> telling us what you have could be helpful here.

Yes, I have finally found out.  It's a Giga-Byte GA-H110M-S2H.

> I'm surprised to hear that Ubuntu worked but not Debian at this point
> - under the covers, the installers for both are remarkably similar...

Ditto.  My images may be faulty.  But we've been there already.  I did
re-download etc.

Thanks, Steve.
Lisi