Re: Repeated failure of install of Jessie

Lisi Reisz wrote:

>No help - but "Join the club".  Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.
>Mine was a new computer and, after over a day of tearing my hair out, trying
>again, trying differently,and re-downloading etc. etc., I installed Ubuntu
>MATE (how are the mighty fallen!!),  just to make sure that something would
>install.  It did.  I am about to try a few more methods of getting Jessie on.
>But I want a night's sleep first!  (This is a companion saga to the one I
>have already reported, not the same one).  It is not helped by the fact that
>check sums are not available for the 8.02 or 8.03 firmware net-install isos.
>And 8.0.0 (for which I have got the check sums) has not got the necessary
>drivers.

We've never made 8.02 or 8.03 firmware netinstall images. If you mean
8.2.0 or 8.3.0, look in the directories on cdimage.debian.org for the
signed checksums alongside the images:

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/archive/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/
  (8.2.0 in the archive)
  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.3.0/amd64/iso-cd/
  (8.3.0, the current stable release)

and there are signed checksum files for *all* the images we publish.

>I have been installing Debian for years on a good many different computers of
>different ages.  I have NEVER had problems like this.  I expect a basic
>Debian installation to take half an hour, not days.

Ouch. :-(

>One of the tech help chaps, at the shop from which I bought the computer,
>suggested forgetting about gpt and sticking with Legacy, and looking at the
>Windows settings in the BIOS, which he though might be interfering.  As I
>said, I am going to have a night's sleep first.  I didn't get much last night
>because I was battling with this.   FWIW, Ubuntu insisted on installing with
>Legacy partitions, not gpt.
>
>I had not got the motherboard manual and did not know what the motherboard
>was, so couldn't download the manual.  I have now asked the shop what it is,
>and downloaded the manual.

Are you trying to dual-boot with Windows, or replace the Windows
setup? If you're talking about GPT, you're looking at a UEFI/legacy
BIOS choice. There *are* machines/motherboards which come stupidly
configured out of the box to boot removable media in one mode
(e.g. UEFI) but to use the *other* mode (e.g. BIOS) for booting off
hard disk. You then can end up with a system where the installer will
appear to work flawlessly, but the newly-installed system will fail to
boot.

If you've found out the manufacturer/model for your motherboard,
telling us what you have could be helpful here.

I'm surprised to hear that Ubuntu worked but not Debian at this point
- under the covers, the installers for both are remarkably similar...

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html