Re: restarting network

	Hi.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 08:21:12 +0100
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> > service networking restart
> >
> > or, if you are also running network-manager, possibly
> >
> > service network-manger restart
> >
> > Very similar to the syntax for /etc/init.d - you're restarting a
> > running service
> >
> Google finds a couple of thousand of these:
>
> "Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
> not enable again some interfaces ... (warning)."
>
> This message apparently originated here, though not the problem:

> There are suggestions that using 'stop' and 'start' does work OK. I've
> never found any kind of official statement from a Debian source.

Why such statement is needed at all? It's all in the source.

/etc/init.d/networking says that:

a) 'restart' option does:
ifdown -a --exclude=lo
ifup -a --exclude=lo
plus some arcane trickery for interfaces defined as 'allow-hotplug'

b) 'stop' option does:
ifdown -a --exclude=lo

c) 'start' option does:
recreate /run/network/ifstate, if needed
ifup -a --exclude=lo
plus some arcane trickery for interfaces defined as 'allow-hotplug'

Reco