Re: restarting network

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:01:09 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 08:23:42AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> > > Guessing game number 1: No /e/n/i before; no /e/n/i after; no
> > > indication of which parameters.

> > > Guessing game number 2: No description of what is meant by
> > > "properly".
> >
> > What a ridiculous response.  IT was a simple and general question
> > by the OP.
> >
> > What is the correct answer for the poisoned systemd installation of
> > Jessie these days????
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > AndrewM
> >

> Please stop disparaging systemd to no useful effect

No, this is nothing to do with systemd.

> service networking restart
>
> or, if you are also running network-manager, possibly
>
> service network-manger restart
>
> Very similar to the syntax for /etc/init.d - you're restarting a
> running service

Google finds a couple of thousand of these:

"Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning)."

This message apparently originated here, though not the problem:

There are suggestions that using 'stop' and 'start' does work OK. I've
never found any kind of official statement from a Debian source.

--
Joe