Re: restarting network

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:07:05 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 28 Mar 2016 at 19:43:30 +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:34:50 +0100
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Guessing game number 1: No /e/n/i before; no /e/n/i after; no
> > > indication of which parameters.

> > > Guessing game number 2: No description of what is meant by
> > > "properly".
> >
> > For some years now (long before systemd) we have been advised that
> > restarting the 'networking' init.d script, even using the
> > Debian-recommended 'invoke-rc.d', may not bring up all interfaces
> > correctly, and the only safe way to restart everything was to...
> > well, restart everything, individually, manually. The 'deprecated'
> > word was used in anger.
> >
> > I haven't yet seen any advice superseding this.
>
> And until the OP gets his act together you probably won't.

I believe the OP was asking the question: what is the official way to
restart all networking? The answer to this should surely not depend on
what specific problem the OP currently has. If this proposed official
way doesn't work, *then* we need to know in what way it doesn't work,
so that troubleshooting may begin.

I'm simply observing that I'm not aware that there is an official way
to restart networking with a single command i.e. that it may no longer
be possible to programmatically enumerate network interfaces, and that
the user must do this him/herself. Possibly you could shed some light on
this?

I should mention that I still do the 'networking restart' and I haven't
ever had any trouble with it, but I've long been aware of the
'deprecated' message.

--
Joe