Re: restarting network

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:34:50 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon 28 Mar 2016 at 10:49:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
> > What is the recommended way of restarting network services after,
> > say, changing the parameters in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> Guessing game number 1: No /e/n/i before; no /e/n/i after; no
> indication of which parameters.
>
> > service networking restart doesn't seem to do the job properly.
>
> Guessing game number 2: No description of what is meant by "properly".

For some years now (long before systemd) we have been advised that
restarting the 'networking' init.d script, even using the
Debian-recommended 'invoke-rc.d', may not bring up all interfaces
correctly, and the only safe way to restart everything was to... well,
restart everything, individually, manually. The 'deprecated' word was
used in anger.

I haven't yet seen any advice superseding this.

--
Joe