New Deb 8 and no sshd access from other hosts

I have installed Deb on my laptop and reused my old Deb 7 .ssh directory.

I can now ssh into the existing remote servers but cannot ssh into my
laptop from them (as a normal user)--I always get asked for a
password.  So the remote servers recognize my old Deb 7 keys, but
apparently my laptop doesn't recognize the other servers' keys.

I have compared files:

  /etc/ssh/ssh_conf
  /etc/ssh/sshd_conf
  /etc/pam.d/ssh/sshd

between the laptop and the remote server and can see no significant
difference for a normal user.

I can also see the host names in the .ssh/known_hosts file.  I do see
that my laptop host's entries in the remote host's known_hosts are of
type "EDCSA" while the remote host's entries in the laptop's
known_hosts file are of type "RSA."

Can anyone suggest where to look next?

Thanks.

Best regards,