Re: Sudo

On 2016-03-24, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> So, it confirms my suspicion that "root login" is used to refer to
> a distinction that is pretty much irrelevant (tho I guess there is the
> fact the root access occurs via some other local user, so you get
> a tiny little bit of a trace).

http://www.linfo.org/root.html

 A critical means for preventing users from directly damaging Unix-like systems
 or increasing the vulnerability of such systems to damage by others is the
 avoidance of using the root account except when absolutely necessary, even by
 knowledgeable and experienced system administrators. That is, rather than
 routinely logging into the system as root, administrators should log in with
 their ordinary user accounts and then use commands, such as su, kdesu and sudo,
 that provide them with root privileges only as needed and without requiring a
 new login.

 For example, to become root with su merely requires typing

    su

 at the command line (i.e., in the all-text mode), pressing the Enter key and
 supplying the root password. The account of the previous user can be returned
 to by pressing the Ctrl and d keys simultaneously or by typing the word exit
 and then pressing the Enter key.

--
Hypertext--or should I say the ideology of hypertext?--is ultrademocratic and
so entirely in harmony with the demagogic appeals to cultural democracy that