Re: systemd troubleshooting (was ... Re: computer cann't shut down)

On Wed 23 Mar 2016 at 21:53:15 (+1300), chrisb@localhost.localdomain wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:44:24AM -0700, Lotek wrote:
> > On 03/19/2016 05:40 AM, lina wrote:
> > >Every time since I installed the system,
> > >
> > >every time I tried Shut Down, it mainly restart again.
> > >
> > >I checked online and tried several methods but still don't work.
> > >
> > >Can anyone suggest me how to solve it.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> >
> > The problem might be with systemd.  Check the link
> > "/lib/systemd/system/@ctrl-alt-del.target".  If it points to
> > "reboot.target", copy the "@ctrl-alt-del.target" link to
> > "/etc/systemd/system".  Then point the new link to

      ↑↑↑

> > "/lib/systemd/system/halt.target".
>
> *groan* so configuration is not confined to /etc/ anymore?

I don't follow youo.

> If everything works with systemd it's great, but otherwise
> it is a PITA esp, with Debian only changes where the normal
> info doesn't apply.

I quite like this scheme. When you have a configuration file
like /etc/foo.conf which contains

# bar="some value"

you have to take on trust, or check, that bar="some value" is
the default configured, or set elsewhere, for foo. OTOH, when
you copy /lib/systemd/system/... to /etc, you know you've got
hold of the default configuration. IOW, it's self-documenting.

Cheers,
David.