Re: x86_64 vs i386 now firefoxish

On Tuesday 22 March 2016 19:38:00 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> (Private copy sent as well in case attachment doesn't get through on
> list.)

> > > So far as I can see, you can't, not in Wheezy.  The one you have
> > > is the most recent available via the repo.
> > > http://mozilla.debian.net/
> > >
> > > You could always use Firefox, as is now recommended.  For
> > > instructions see the hyperlink I have referenced.  That will give
> > > you 45.0.1.
> > >
> > > You could presumably download iceweasel_44.0.2-1~bpo70+1_i386.deb
> > > and install it with dpkg -i, but why?  If Debian and Mozilla have
> > > made up, why not just accept it and use Firefox as Debian is now
> > > telling you to do?  It takes a bit of getting used to, but why
> > > perpetuate a quarrel which is over?
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > It went to the mozilla site and pilled 45.0.1 but it was a tar.bz2,
> > which when unpacked, did not have an installer script that I could
> > find.
> >
> > It looks to be prebuilt and ready to rock & roll, but where, and
> > with what utility do I install it with?
> >
> > Next?
>
> You should be using the Debian repository and apt.  Go to the site I
> referenced and follow the instructions!  It probably doesn't work in
> Synaptic, though it may.  It definitely works in aptitude, it
> obviously works in apt-get, and I would expect it to work in apt.
> http://mozilla.debian.net/
>
> I attach a screen-shot.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> You're welcome,
>
> Lisi

Well, I followed the directions at that site, which FWIW, did not work
the first time I put it in my sources.list a week+ back up the log, but
all I had to do was uncomment it again and it worked just fine in
synaptic too.  So its in, and running fairly well.

CBS is being snotty and won't show me some things unless I disable ALL
the blockers.  Thats their choice, and its my choice to leave privacy
badger enabled.

I am getting more and more of my news from non-mainsleaze sites anyway.

Too bad al-jezzera.America  had to fold up their tent and go away, that
was about as unbiased a news site as we had.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)