Re: x86_64 vs i386

On 03/20/2016 04:08 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 20 March 2016 15:35:54 David Christensen wrote:
I'm curious about "2 new drives".  What's the intended purpose of the
machine?  What drive(s) are already installed?  Any spares on the
shelf?

Some, but with 60k plus spinning hours on them.

And, what about the USB 3.0 flash-as-system-drive trick?

In reverse order, this old Asus mobo doesn't boot from usb.  Old also
means its sata is 3Gb at best, and the USB is 2.1 max. 100 meg Cat5 to
the printer is faster.

I haven't found a new mobo that doesn't send everything in this machine
to the recycle bin.  So I'd be out another $400 in installed cards as
this board is all pci. 4 slots, 7 sata, 7 usb's, and my usb tree looks
like a weeping willow, most of which would be obsolete too. 1 4 port
external hub, 1 7 port external hub, a 10 meter hub to some stuff in the
basement with a 7 port on the end of it.  And a pci video card, a pci
firewire, and an hdPC3000 digital tv card.  That stuff is all toast when
the bus turns into pci-e.

Drive #2 will be a new drive for amanda to use, after I run a mktapes
script on it to make about 60 ea 20+Gig virtual tapes.  Drive 1 will be
the new install, which will get most of my home dir copied to it, then
the former drive 1 will be remounted as /dev/sdc so once the copies have
been made, and reformatted so half the drive is /home and half is /opt.
Let drive 1 BE the system drive, but I want my stuff better isolated.  I
did have 4 drives in here at one time, but the drives got bigger faster
than my own storage needs, which are now occasionally feeling the pinch.

Running the trinity gui, and quite a boat load of other stuff including
my web page out of /opt, that would be one less recovery worry when a
drive upchucks.

So, "everything plus the kitchen sink". (Did someone mention LinuxCNC?) ;-)

A few years back, I built a new high-end desktop/ low-end server and tried consolidating everything into virtual machines running on that one box. One powerful, quiet machine was nice when everything worked and I wasn't messing with it. But when something broke or I did mess with it, I frequently ran into circular dependencies and had to fix and/or mess with everything. While doing so, I was dead in the water. It was a memorable lesson in "too many eggs in one basket."

Now I'm running three boxes locally -- one desktop, one file server, and one maintenance/ backup/ archive/ image server. For you, I'd recommend trying that arrangement plus one more box for your machine shop. I don't know what region you're in (I'm near Silicon Valley), but I see used computers at good prices on Craig's List fairly often.

David