Re: Installing newer kernels

On Sun 20 Mar 2016 at 12:23:03 (+0300), Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:09:51 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

[list snipped]

> With this much work, it would probably be easier just to do a wipe and
> re-install, since the process you described basically nukes the system
> down to the bare essentials anyway

Bear in mind that this list has only grown over the years.

So, for example step 5 would take into account past use of deb-multimedia.
15, 18, 21 and 28 relate to the size of disks in the past.
29 dates from the Great X Reorganisation in 1999 (slink).
16 was inserted when that paired kernel/udev upgrade took place
(when was that).

- and for the same effort you could
> have an *even cleaner* fresh install.

Most of the other steps are things that you have to do anyway,
whether you upgrade to a new version or install it, eg 0, 1, 6, 13,
23, 24, 25, and 26.
19 and 20 are incantations that might be useful anytime a large
upgrade takes place, especially if you're running testing/unstable.

> Meh. I just apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade,
> apt-get autoremove, and apt-get clean. It has never failed me.

(Some of this list predates apt.)
11 is a reminder that I have to keep two machines with up-to-date
ndis-wrapped wifi so that I don't boot a new kernel but lose my wifi,
which would mean lugging them to the end of a cat5 cable.
(Installing means much the same.)

> I do exercise *some* caution though (I run testing)- I read
> apt-listbugs before doing anything, and actually *read and investigate*
> the changes about to take place on my system.
>
> Do things the Debian Way, use common sense, and all will be well.

Upgrading *is* a Debian Way. Writing check lists like this was a habit
I learned years ago from going to sea. They save time and effort in
the long run.

Cheers,
David.